Nope, not talkin’ about the one you squeeze. I’m talkin’ bout the one I WAS today.
How is it that we instead, come to “be in peace” while working in a chaotic system? Really. I’m curious. How do you do it?
Today I spoke with a co-worker. We discussed how one of the most detrimental things to our capacity to be effective at work is...managing our stress and in large part, our work stress. Categories can, but are not limited to include:
- Team and discharge communication
- Patient communication
- Life changes situations among patients and their family members
- Did I mention documentation?
Stress is a real experience for many of us. Yet, can it be lessened by choice? Need we really have our panties in a bundle 80% of our day? I vote no to the panty bundle and yes to stress being lessened via personal choices to find another way...a way of ease and playfulness.
Here are a few original thoughts and a quick link to 12 additional tips for trial implementation (yes, taking action on these items could very likely spread joy, increase efficiency, decrease stress, and improve your overall work satisfaction):
- Make a friend at work and go to lunch with them.
- Make someone else’s day (or at least laugh) by sheer surprise.
- Use the restroom as a rest room. Take a few deep breaths (time this well, if you know what I mean;)
- Slap high-fives randomly (this is an almost instant smile-getter)
Remember that each day is really about service to others and has a beginning and end. Remember there will be time to rest and not do work so just treat each day at work as if checking in at a service position. One day at a time...