WOW, this is my 5th year doing this post, and I’m so excited to update you on the occupational therapy continuing education world!
In this post, you’ll learn about the top online OT continuing education units (CEUs). In it you’ll find:
- The top 3 CEU courses from OT Potential
- The top 10 courses from MedBridge Education
- Our favorite niche courses
- Bonus: Free OT CEUs
The OT Potential Club’s Podcast-Based Occupational Therapy Continuing Education Courses
⬇️ Here are the top 3 downloaded courses of 2021! ⬇️
The OT Potential Club is designed to help you stay up to date with evidence-based practice by reviewing influential new evidence, and giving you a place to discuss how it impacts your practice. We are AOTA approved, and also meet your requirements for NBCOT’s PDUs.
For each CEU podcast course we offer, we discuss important research with an expert guest. Our hope is that the discussion will capture the nuances of the topics, while also providing actionable steps toward improving your practice.
MedBridge’s top OT CEU courses of 2021
I am a longtime user and affiliate of MedBridge Education.
You can find my full MedBridge review here. The service is a premium membership with many benefits beyond access to great CEUs.
One of MedBridge’s most sought-after features is regular live-webinars, which often count towards the live OT continuing education hours that some states require.
Here’s the top 10 OT courses taken by OTs and OTAs in 2021:
- A Clinical Application of Easing Pain via Neuroplasticity
- Teaching People About Pain
- Ethics for Physical and Occupational Therapy Professionals
- Hemiplegic Shoulder Part 1: Assessment
- Hemiplegic Shoulder Part 2: Interventions
- How to Effectively Manage Burnout, Work Stress, and Compassion Fatigue
- Suicide Risk in Inpatient Rehabilitation Settings
- Mental Health During COVID-19 Part 1: Rehab Patients and Caregivers
- Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting in Pennsylvania
- Parkinson’s Disease: Applying What We Know Now
If you are interested in trying MedBridge, you can use the promo code “OTP13” to save $175 off the list price and lock in your annual renewal at $200.
Copy and paste this MedBridge Promo Code:
Independent online occupational therapy courses (from your fellow therapists)
In addition to the major OT CEU providers that help you keep up to date with a wide variety of topics, there are a growing number of course creators that help you dive into niche topics.
Honestly, we at OT Potential are friends with many of these providers and are proud to share their work 🙂
We decided to feature AOTA approved courses first, as these are structured to meet your continuing education requirements for licensure in your state. They are also structured to meet your professional development units (PDUs) for your NBCOT certification.
A-Z School-Based OT | OT School House
- Cost: $299
- 9.5 hours
The Dynamic School OT | Devon Breithart
- Cost: $447
- 7 hours
Fine Motor Boot Camp – Live Webinar | Fine Motor Boot Camp LLC
- Cost: $79-94
- 2.5 hours
The Learn Play Thrive Approach to Autism | LearnPlayThrive, LLC
- Cost: $359
- 8 hours
Nuts and Bolts to Becoming a Successful School Based OT | World of OT
- Cost: $297-$347
- 6 hours
OT Courses | The Lactation OT
- Cost: $99-$399
- 38 hours available
OT Pioneers: Introduction to Pelvic Floor Therapy for Occupational Therapists | The Functional Pelvis
- Cost: $597
- 10 hours
Tele-Health for Pediatric Occupational Therapists | Play It Forward Therapy
- Cost: $297-$632
- 11.5 hours available
Toilet Training Success Academy | Arianna Medina
- Cost: $397
- 10 hours available
Ready, Set, Mash-up | Ready, Set, Treat
- Cost: $299
- 6 hours
Revolutionize Your Learning Space for Student Success | Justin Lyons, OTR/L via PESI
Skills2Care Certification | The Dementia Collaborative
- Cost: $2,200
- 30 hours
Telehealth Provider Training Program | TelehealthShare
- Cost: $275
- 8.5 hours
VISION 101 For School-based OTs | Miss Jaime, OT
- Cost $127
- 4.5 hours
Not AOTA Approved (Please check with your state continuing education requirements!):
Non-AOTA approved courses are much more variable in there offerings, but maybe if the topic aligns with what you are looking for, one of these may be the right course for you! Please make sure that these courses will count toward your license, if that is your intent!
(If you need help figuring out your continuing education requirements, check out our post OT continuing education explained.)
- Become a Confident and Competent Telehealth Practitioner | Telehealth OT Services
- A Holistic and Integrative Approach to Pediatric Pelvic Health | Aloha OT
- How To Run Mom & Baby Groups As An OT | Nurture OT
- Integrative Medicine in OT in reducing Racial Health Disparities | Sheela Ivlev
- Learning to be Powerfully You | Vital Links
- Non-Clinical 101 | The Non-Clinical PT
- OT Courses | askotkimberly.org
- OT Courses | Aspire OT
- OT Courses | Hand Therapy Secrets
- OT Courses | Institute for Sex, Intimacy & Occupational Therapy
- OT Courses | The Pocket OT
- OT Courses and Independent Contracting | Faison Consulting: Therapy Biz
- The OT Method to Assessing Concussion in Acute Care | Alexis Joelle
- Practical Yoga Interventions for the Classroom that Promote Physical Activity and Motor Development | Pink Oatmeal / Bethany Carroll MA, OTR/L & Chanda Jothen PT, DPT
- Racism in the Context of Occupation | Sheela Ivlev
- The School-Based Therapist Handbook Webinar | The Inspired Treehouse
If you only need a few courses, maybe free is the best option for you?
There are free CEU courses out there! We’ve done our best to compile the free CEU offerings we know of into the post: Free Occupational Therapy (OT) CEUs—AOTA Approved.
Many of us have relished the ability to learn from the comfort of our own homes for years—but the pandemic has all but made this style of learning standard in our profession. So here’s to the convenience, affordability, and accessibility afforded by online occupational therapy continuing education.